Sunday, April 15, 2012

PAPERFASHION

I am so happy that I found this artist. She is an fashion illustrator, and that is exactly what I think I want to be, but I've never really seen the work of a real fashion illustrator. I absolutely love Katie Rodger's style and use of watercolors (which is also one of my favorite mediums to work with). I have been told a lot recently (especially when I went to a portfolio review at the Ringling College of Art and Design) that I need to trade in my watercolors for technology (i.e. my Bamboo Tablet and Photoshop) if I wanted to go into illustration, because it is all changing, but what Paperfashion has given me is realization that if watercolors is what I want to do, then I can make it work. Not that I don't enjoy my Bamboo, I just really like the look of watercolors, the risk involved with every move (there's no "command" + "z" option).




“Imagination is more important than knowledge” – Einstein
Katie Rodgers dreamt up Paperfashion in March 2009, and has since been illustrating whimsical fashion that never fails to captivate our attention.
Katie and her watercolors have had a long love story, going back to the days before she knew how to read. Given her first professional watercolor set in first grade, she instantly fell in love with what would later become her career.
Katie is a graduate of Carnegie Mellon University, with a BFA in Industrial Design. After independently pursuing fashion and apparel design throughout college, she landed her first apparel design job in Boston, MA. While working a 9-5, she continued to illustrate in her spare time, and quickly realized it was her true passion. Soon thereafter, Paperfashion was born! Katie took the leap in January 2012, and is now illustrating full time.
Paperfashion has been commissioned by companies such as Kate Spade, Coach, OlsenBoye, Lucky Magazine, Nabisco, Penelope and Coco, Rockport, Target, and AKW, just to name a few. She has also been published in Lucky Magazine, ElleGirl, CosmoGirl, The Great Big Book of Fashion Illustration, Fashion Drawing by Michele Wesen Bryant, and many other publications.
She is now represented by Digital Brand Architects.





photos via: Her Portfolio
Enjoy
-morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment